Wednesday 30 November 2011

Projects Are Like Quilts by Susan Cadley


Have you ever had a HUGE project or idea and you become so overwhelmed you stop in your tracks, get distracted, feel anxious, and end up just ignoring it? These kinds of projects have a way of continually tapping you on the shoulder, saying “hey, when are we going to get started?”

In construction, there’s a term for huge, overwhelming projects, they are called BHAG’s. This acronym stands for a Big – Hairy – Audacious – Goal. I had never heard this term until I heard a man describing the BHAG he was working on in his back in his yard. I’ve always wanted to use this term, and now I can. If you’ve got a BHAG, how do you get started?

I’ve been in what I call a brewing stage for a while now. I’ve been listening to my soul and receiving many new creative ideas. I’ve been writing them down and talking them up. I kept getting tapped on the shoulder by these ideas so I decided to take on a BHAG. Instead of thinking about the task as one huge project, I decided to begin taking small steps. I complete one task a week and give it all my attention.

If you have a large project looming, begin simply, begin small. Each step will take you to the next, and the next. I liken this to creating a quilt. My Mom is a quilter and I’ve always enjoyed sharing in her satisfaction as each square was completed. Each square being unique and important to the whole of the finished project. Find joy and learning in creating each square. The process is the journey. Before you know it, you’ll unfurl a quilt that is uniquely you.

Susan is a Licensed Psychotherapist & Soul Coach and sole proprietor of Living From Within, LLC. Through counseling, coaching, creative workshops and book studies, Susan guides you to hear and live the messages of your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment