Thursday 24 November 2011

Grounded by Meghan Genge

"There is a lot to be said for pinning things to the earth so they don't follow us around. There is a lot to be said for laying them to rest." - Clarissa Pinkola Estes

DSC02144 copy 
 You are grounded.

Do you hear me?

All of you.

All of the books that are whispering to me that they have the answer to all of my problems, but make me feel like a failure for not reading/ finishing/ doing them: you are grounded.

All of the clothes in my drawers that are sighing about the day that I will fit into them again, making me feel like a failure for not being thin: you are grounded.

All of the food that I am 'supposed' to eat because it'll make me healthy and all of the eating plans I have made and failed at following, all of the diets I have tried and also failed at that made me feel like a pathetic fatty: you are grounded.

All of the emails I have not written back to, all of the phone calls I have forgotten to make/ not felt up to making that have made me feel like a bad friend: you are grounded.

All of the projects I have thought about starting that I haven't grabbed with both hands, all of the guilt I have from when I have watched Lost instead of grabbing my creative dreams, and all of the feelings of inadequacy I carry from comparing myself to other people/ bloggers/ writers: you are grounded.

All of the crap in my head about not being a good enough wife because I am not currently a sex/ domestic/ intellectual goddess: you are grounded.

We're done. Do you hear me? I refuse to play with you anymore. You are too heavy to carry and frankly, I am bored of you. In fact, I think that the weight I try so hard to shed might be made up of you. So you are grounded for the forseeable future. You are not welcome anymore. I am locking you in the spare room and leaving you there until I decide what to do with you.

I am not sorry.

Megg is a writer, a seeker, and a believer in magic.

2 comments:

  1. "....and frankly, I am bored of you."

    absolutely - all of this crap that spins around IS BORING - I'm grounding mine too -

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't know better I'd think I had written this myself! Thank you for showing me that I'm not the only one who feels like this - and that I can let all these things go xxx

    ReplyDelete